A few months ago I talked about 3 obvious signs your hair lacks protein. Now to continue that conversation we’re going to go a little more in-depth about why protein is so important. In addition, I’m going to list off some great protein treatments for natural hair. Good hair makes all the difference to your look. If you want healthy and glossy curls go for protein! It keeps hair strong, healthy and helps with growth, being particularly good to maintain tight curls. If you are protective styling with something like jumbo box braids, protein keeps them healthy and away from breakage. Here are 5 things to know about protein and your hair followed by the best protein treatments for natural hair.
1. Protein-based treatments help strengthen damaged hair and restore any protein lost through regular shampooing and styling.
Why is protein so important for natural hair? Well, 70% of your hair consists of keratin protein, which is responsible for its strength and structure. So, when you do protein treatments you minimize the loss of your hair’s natural protein and superficially make up for it.
2. A protein-rich diet is the best way to keep your hair healthy in the long-term.
Make sure to add protein-rich foods to your daily meals and get energy while also keeping your hair beautiful. Go for meat proteins like turkey, chicken breast and salmon; vegetable proteins like spinach, broccoli and mushrooms; and dairy proteins like egg, yogurt, and mozzarella cheese.
3. Applying protein-rich ingredients to your hair is an efficient and natural way of maintaining it.
Cheaper than going to a salon is going for DIY protein treatments – you’re basically applying natural protein directly to your hair. You can make a good hair mask with just 2 whipped eggs, or add 2 bananas and 1 natural yogurt too for more protein and healthier results. Apply from roots to ends, leave for 30 minutes and rinse with cold or lukewarm water. And if your hair is styled with jumbo box braids, keep them moisturized and strong with a water, glycerin, and protein braid spray. Before you get too out of hand, also read What You Should Know About the Popular Eggs & Mayo Protein Treatment.
4. Rinse-off products work wonders but you need to know exactly what you’ll be feeding your hair before buying any.
Always check the labels for ingredients. Make your hair healthier with hydrolyzed proteins for strength, collagen for elasticity, keratin for shine, wheat and plant proteins to retain moisture, and silk protein for a soft touch. Know your protein ingredients!
5. Protein-rich hair masks are always a good option, but their frequency depends on the state of your hair.
Some hair types, usually with tighter curls, will need more protein treatments than others. Also, you need to adapt your haircare routine to the current state of your hair. Make a hair mask once every two months for little to no damage hair, once a month for slightly damaged hair and once every week for severely damaged hair.
Protein Treatments for Natural Hair
- Hydratherma Naturals Amino Plus Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment – This deep protein conditioning treatment strengthens the hair and prevents breakage. It does not make the hair feel hard like many other protein treatments and contains an exceptional and unique complex of structurizing proteins, all of different molecular weights. These proteins penetrate deep within the hair shaft producing benefits like no single protein can.
- Aphoghee 2 Step Protein Treatment – Per aphoghee.com, the ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment is a salon service product unlike any product available for at-home use. This unique treatment is formulated with magnesium and modified proteins which fuse into the hair with the application of heat. The result is that breakage is drastically reduced. During the process, the treatment hardens into the hair. For best results, a hooded dryer is required. After rinsing and moisturizing with ApHogee Balancing Moisturizer, clients are astounded with the results. (Note: This is an intensive protein treatment and should only be used after consulting with a professional stylist)
- Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise – The ORS conditioner strengthens over-processed hair from within the hair shaft with essential oils, organic amino acids and Vitamin B5 for added moisture and strength. Good for fragile hair prone to breakage. The ORS hair mayonnaise adds moisture and elasticity to mend split ends and provides incredible body and shine according to their product description.
- Ouidad Deep Treatment Curl Restoration Therapy – Pricey but this heat-activated deep treatment works at the cuticle level to replace the two proteins and eight amino acids needed for strong, fully nourished, healthy curls.
Protein-rich curls are stronger, softer and healthier curls. From specialized products to homemade hair masks, protein treatments for natural hair are the saviors of your hair!
Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to never miss a post!